Cayenne JDK 1.3 port progress

From: Andrus (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sat Aug 10 2002 - 14:21:31 EDT

    Hi Sanjay,

    Yesterday while waiting for my plane in the airport I figured I may start
    looking at backporting Cayenne to 1.3. As of now the goal is to provide a
    single distribution JAR that would work on both 1.4 and 1.3 (except for
    GUI). If this approach doesn't work, we may switch to 2 separate distros
    later. This means that the code must be compiled under 1.4, and then
    tested on both 1.3 & 1.4. My goal is to make it pass all the unit tests we
    have so far.

    What I've done so far:
    1. java.util.logging -> log4j replacement - 100%.
    2. java.util.regex -> org.apache.jakarta.oro - 50%.
    3. Cleaned GUI login panel to run under 1.3 (unlike the rest of the GUI
    this is needed for the unit tests) - 100%

    TBD:
    1'. Finish java.util.regex -> org.apache.jakarta.oro conversion
    2'. Create JDBC 2 support (as opposed to current JDBC 3)

    Required extras for 1.3 (put them in $JRE_HOME/lib/ext):
       2 JAR files from Xerces (I used version 2.02) - xmlParserAPIs.jar and
    xercesImpl.jar

    If the changes affected the API, I always preserved the old API, just
    marking it as ..eprecated". We don't want to make life any harder for the
    current users. All my changes are already in CVS (most are already in the
    last nightly build). For the next 3-4 weeks I will be very busy with other
    things, so the conversion process will probably move much slower, but I
    hope I already cleaned up the most messy part.

    Andrus