Re: Improved EOModel support

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..laska.net)
Date: Mon Sep 08 2003 - 11:26:36 EDT

    Andrus Adamchik <andru..bjectstyle.org> wrote:
    > Agreed. Interesting that a few people suggested to use a UML based
    > approach to modeling persistent objects with "export" function for all
    > possible O/R frameworks. This discussion happened a few times on this
    > list. E.g.:

    Unfortunately, I'm not very knowledgeable about UML, but I did read the
    comments.
    UML looks like EOModeler's Diagram view, from what little I saw. My
    theoretical database background was primarily one semester of a college
    database class, mostly normalization.

    > > I've been able to create templates to export EOModels into (now
    > > Oracle's) Toplink,
    >
    > I would love to see TopLink export and (especially) import functions in
    > the Modeler. Never started it myself, since I was always scared of the
    > TopLink XML jungle :-) (lots of class metadata, CVS unfriendly
    > meaningless XML index files, etc...)

    You can save your toplink model either to XML or to java classes.
    I took the easy way out and just created Toplink-compatible java classes.

    > Umm... marketing is not our strong side :-(. We have an open position
    > for a fulltime unpaid marketing director ;-). Seriously, I was thinking
    > about doing some real promotion, like writing articles, doing

    I think that just making sure you're up-to-date in the popular
    database-layer comparison resources and perhaps dropping a note in the
    WO-dev or WOProject mailing lists that the Modeler exists and could be
    extended to export EOModels could be effective, low-effort marketing.

    > > http://www.uq.net.au/~zzabergl/simpleorm/ORMTools.html
    >
    > I am not very happy with the reviews on this site. They are very high
    > level. The author hasn't evaluated most of the frameworks himself, just
    > got some info from the websites. I sent a few corrections about Cayenne
    > and WebObjects, that were accepted (I can see you did the same thing).
    > Well, it says it is work in progress, but still.... Wiki is better in
    > this respect.

    It does provide a nice overview of the technology, though, and he does
    accept corrections.