Optimistic locking [WAS Re: Plans for 1.1 and after....]

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..laska.net)
Date: Tue Sep 16 2003 - 12:14:03 EDT

    Andrus Adamchik <andru..bjectstyle.org> wrote:
    > Original plans for optimistic locking were to use JDBC update count to
    > tell if a row was updated or not (and include all "locked" fields in
    > the WHERE clause). Unfortunately this information is not always
    > available from the driver (esp. with batch updates that are enabled by
    > default). Arndt has been patching some things on his own (some of which
    > included patches to Oracle driver). I leave it up to him to comment
    > further. My feeling is that we still need more research on that.

    Can the framework start off by doing it the "right" way (using the JDBC
    update count), and we go from there? We can document (when known) what
    drivers DON'T work and under what conditions, then let those most interested
    either get the driver itself fixed or fix the driver plugin (or maybe even
    disable batch updates by plugin)?

    Once something is in place, the rest of us can try to fit it to our needs.
    However, I don't feel qualified to put the basic mechanism in place.

    -Mike