Re: [Newbie] Advanced expressions

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..laska.net)
Date: Mon Sep 29 2003 - 08:27:04 EDT

    Giulio Cesare Solaroli <slrgcs..bn-italy.com> wrote:
    > In EOF we have written a few qualifiers (in Cayenne they are called
    > expressions, if I get it right) like:
    > - empty relationship;
    > - not empty relationship;
    > - match all values;
    > - no match for value;

    Take a look at

    http://www.objectstyle.org/cayenne/userguide/expressions/shortcut.html

    and the rest of chapter 11. I think some of what you're looking for is in
    there.

    > Plus, we have extended the editing context to implement a few method to:
    > - return the number of records/objects matching a given
    > qualifier/expression (select count(*));
    > - return if a given expression matches any value (select dummy from
    > dual where exists(...); similar to a select count(*) checking if the
    > result is greater than zero, but much more efficient, as it returs as
    > soon as it finds a match).

    I don't know the answer to this, but I would guess the Expression class or
    one of the others in the exp package. Your extensions sound like useful
    additions to Expression providing you can implement them in a database
    independent way (the second one sounds a little tricky and looks
    Oracle-specific).