Re: RFC: semantic of expressions

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Wed Oct 22 2003 - 01:54:16 EDT

    On Wednesday, October 22, 2003, at 01:43 AM, Giulio Cesare Solaroli
    wrote:

    > This reminds me of another important feature I would love to see in
    > Cayenne: fetch specifications stored on the model.
    >
    > Having a way to encode a full expression in one string should allow to
    > handle the fetch specification on the model quite easy; all that is
    > left to do is to specify the sort ordering and eventually the fetch
    > limit.

    Actually encoding SelectQueries in the model has been on the list for
    quiet a while. It didn't make it to Cayenne so far exactly for the lack
    for human readable encoding of expressions. I didn't want to see any
    more ugly XML nested structures (kind of Ant style) like this :-) :

    <and>
        <equals key="artistName" value="5"/>
        <equals key="dateOfBirth" value="01-01-1900"/>
        <or>
            <like key="paintingArray.name" value="A*"/>
             <like key="paintingArray.name" value="B*"/>
        <or>
    </and>

    But if we get stuck with the parser, what the hell, we can implement it
    as one of those....

    Andrus