Re: Decoding XML

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..laska.net)
Date: Thu Mar 10 2005 - 21:23:06 EST

    Kevin Menard <kmenar..ervprise.com> wrote:
    > If you got this far, thanks. I know it was a bit long-winded, but I
    wanted
    > to provide context with the problem and a possible solution. Any
    thoughts?

    I've got no thoughts on this specific problem, but a general rule of OOP is
    "tell, don't ask."

    You generally end up with better code if you tell another object to perform
    a task rather than query it for parameters, tell it to do something else,
    and then query it for the results.

    Or at least that's what I read on Martin Fowler's website last week :)
    Beats me if it's even relevent to your question :)

    http://www.pragmaticprogrammer.com/ppllc/papers/1998_05.html
    http://www.martinfowler.com/articles/mocksArentStubs.html

    -Mike