RE: Firebird generators

From: Cris Daniluk (cris.danilu..laraview.com)
Date: Thu Mar 24 2005 - 09:51:09 EST

    > > All databases use a propietary syntax for sequences/generators.
    > > There's no real standard :)
    >
    > Currently I have no time for reading specs, but as far as i
    > know SQL99 does define sequence syntax (but maybe not in basic level).

    There isn't a database out there that implements SQL99... I don't even think
    there's one that implements SQL92. They all claim to be close, but they
    never are. This is why Cayenne's DbAdapter design is so beautiful... It more
    than accomodates the fact that database vendors love to make their stuff
    incompatible with the competition.

    > > If you properly implement getExistingSequences, you should have no
    > > problems clashing with existing ones.
    >
    > Ok, I will implement my own modifications here.
    >
    > Another thing i have overlooked is that i need 64bit pk
    > values. I have modified pkFromDatabase in my own tree to
    > return long instead of int, but would it be possible to
    > change it in cayenne distribution?

    Postgres also creates 64 bit keys by default if you use the serial datatype.
    Oracle supports them. This would probably really break backwards
    compatibility though - the DataObjectUtils interface would have to be
    seriously changed to do a long return type, etc. Probably what would have to
    be done is a set of alternative methods and behavior that kick in if a 64
    bit key is detected. You volunteering? :)

    Cris