Re: [OS-JIRA] Created: (CAY-183) Adapter for Clouscape/Derby DB

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Tue May 03 2005 - 23:07:12 EDT

    Just checked in Derby DbAdapter contributed by Tore Halset (see
    CAY-183). I made a few minor tweaks to make it run on Mac OS X (had to
    add System.setProperty("derby.storage.fileSyncTransactionLog", "true")
    to the DerbyStackAdapter) ...

    Here is the settings I used in connection.properties (note the database
    name is "testrun/testdb" to force its creation in the unit tests temp
    dir, and preventing it from appearing in the root project tree):

    derby.cayenne.adapter = org.objectstyle.cayenne.dba.derby.DerbyAdapter
    derby.jdbc.url = jdbc:derby:testrun/testdb;create=true
    derby.jdbc.driver = org.apache.derby.jdbc.EmbeddedDriver

    I got stuck when attempting to test Derby in the client/server mode
    (can't connect from JDBC and get some driver errors in "ij" tool), but
    I guess I simply need to read the manual.

    Another thing that I noticed is that even in embedded mode Derby was
    fairly slow compared to HSQL... But then HSQL does most of its work in
    memory, while Derby writes to disk (and not just to a single flat file,
    but to a number of binary files... I hope this overhead is justified
    (can it handle bigger datasets?)

    Andrus