Re: class generation refactoring

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..laska.net)
Date: Tue May 10 2005 - 13:01:56 EDT

    Andrus Adamchik <andru..bjectstyle.org> wrote:
    > Looks good to me.
    >
    > I guess we will have to pay attention to backwards compatibility issues as
    > we move forward, as people use custom templates that rely on "classGen"
    > key... And this is a combined community of Cayenne and WOProject/WOLips
    > users.

    Yes, I'm not planning on removing classGen any time soon.

    The only issue that may cause backward-compatibility problems is a namespace
    conflict with a user-defined value.

    However, I think that should be fairly unlikely, and anyone who'd be a
    victim of such a BC issue is knowledgeable enought to correct it.

    We might also provide a BC cgen task option for 1.2 that prevents the
    addition of the new attributes (perfect 1.1 compatiblity).

    Or maybe we should do it in phases:

    1.2: default cgen works as 1.1, with an option to use the new 1.2 semantics
    -- default templates use 1.2 semantics
    1.3: default cgen uses 1.2 semantics, with an option to use 1.1 semantics.
    1.4: remove classgen.

    Another possibility is to preprocess the templates and see if there's any
    conflicts.

    -Mike