Re: Incorporating VPP code into cgen

From: Erik Hatcher (eri..hatchersolutions.com)
Date: Mon May 23 2005 - 16:59:39 EDT

    On May 23, 2005, at 4:47 PM, Mike Kienenberger wrote:
    > Andrus Adamchik <andru..bjectstyle.org> wrote:
    >
    >> I'd say if we have to do that, we should create our own classes
    >> and paste
    >> the code there under ObjectStyle license, and put the VPP license
    >> in our
    >> third party liceses directory under docs.
    >>
    >> My reasoning is that if we have a Java class under our source
    >> tree, it is
    >> a part of Cayenne and we will be maintaining it. Otherwise it
    >> should be
    >> imported as a binary jar.
    >>
    >> BTW, how many Java classes from VPP are you planning to import,
    >>

    > I'm still trying to determine how many I'm going to import :) I'd
    > actually
    > prefer to import it as a binary jar, but I'd be concerned about the
    > additional configuration needed to get the cgen task defined. On
    > the other
    > hand, perhaps that's not an issue now that we're using antlib.xml.
    > I'm also
    > not yet sure how easy it will be to override any vpp logic we're not
    > interested in.

    To use classes from the VPP binary, I think all you'd need to do is
    put it's JAR in the classpath used to define Cayenne Ant tasks, so it
    shouldn't be too big of a deal. I haven't looked under the covers of
    VPP in a long while, but if it has the classes broken out in a
    reusable fashion then using it's JAR directly seems the best way to
    go with this.

    > The first two items are the ones I need.
    >
    > 1) ability to add velocity context attributes by class ("velocity
    > tool"
    > instance).
    > 2) ability to add velocity context attributes via a property or
    > property
    > file.
    >
    > Example:
    >
    > <vppconfig id="vppconfig0" >
    > <context>
    > <property key="foo" value="bar" />
    > <property file="some.properties" />
    > <tool key="mytool" className="foo.bar.MyTool" />
    > </context>
    > </vppconfig>

    Ain't VPP great?! :)

    > The others that we could get "for free" would be (in my order of
    > perceived
    > importance),
    >
    > 3) ability to specify the resource loader (for Erik's #parse classpath
    > request)

    I'm honored!

    > 4) ability to specify a velocity macro library
    > 5) ability to log all velocity messages to the ant logger (default
    > configuration for the runtime.log.logsystem engine property).
    > 6) ability to configure all of these options as a standalone ant
    > vppconfig
    > element so it can be shared between tasks.
    > 7) ability to add an event handler
    > 8) ability to specify other velocity engine properties.
    > 9) reference to hash table of all ant properties and to the ant
    > project
    > object.
    > 10) conformance to the vpp ant api.

    I *heart* VPP.