Re: 3T Relationships

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Fri Jul 29 2005 - 19:29:25 EDT

Hi Derek,

Yeah, I will be offline between Aug 3 and 15th.

Relationships... To-one relationships are object faults, to-many - list
faults. Whenever a fault is tripped, a query has to be built and executed,
and the fault inflated with the results. Queries already work across the
wire, so the problem comes down to providing the right faults and building
the right queries.

Object fault resolution is delegated to ObjectContext (see
objectWillRead/objectWillWrite). ClientObjectContext has yet to implement
these methods for real (i.e. build a query to resolve a fault and then
inflate an object with fetched data). This is something you may want to
look at.

For list faults you can build something similar to
cayenne.access.ToManyList used on the server side and code query logic
inside the list implementation.

Actually for the demo you may code resolving single object faults straight
in your persistent objects as well (by overriding willRead/willWrite), but
ultimately I'd like to externalize it and stick it in the ObjectContext.