Re: failure notice

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Fri Oct 07 2005 - 21:48:46 EDT

    Or maybe start by looking how we can factor it out completely?..

    I am not criticizing anybody (I should start with myself, ugh), just
    trying to point to a bigger problem. We've always wanted to be
    pragmatic when making decisions whether to include library X or Y. It
    saved time and shifted maintenance burden to someone else, so it
    seemed like a good thing.

    Now that Java and J2EE are becoming the proverbial "COBOL of the 21st
    century", library situation becomes that of a Windows "DLL hell".
    Versioning of most popular libs is starting to cause pain (the worst
    offenders are commons-*, but also JDOM).

    So I am starting to re-evaluate our "pragmatic" approach. We are a
    framework provider, and unlike end-user applications, it does matter
    what is under the hood. Fewer dependencies is better; zero
    dependencies is ideal (though unrealistic at this point). Look at
    HSQLDB - a single jar that does everything (they even have their own
    HashMap, presumably for 1.1 compatibility). As a result, the only
    possible conflict it can cause is with another version of self.

    Again, I am not calling for a rewrite of Cayenne, just wanted to
    point out to our priorities.

    Andrus