Re: Prefetching Feedback

From: Tore Halset (halse..vv.ntnu.no)
Date: Wed Nov 16 2005 - 14:54:38 EST

    On Nov 16, 2005, at 20:30, Andrus Adamchik wrote:

    > I am wrapping up my prefetching changes for 1.2. One last thing
    > unfinished is the "artificial intelligence" for determining
    > prefetch semantics. I am working on it now. I created a little
    > writeup on Wiki about the new features:
    >
    > http://objectstyle.org/confluence/display/CAY/Prefetching
    >
    > Please comment on it, especially the "Prefetch Semantics" section
    > that defines prefetch rules and limitations.

    Havnt tried "Prefetch Semantics" yet, but it is very nice to be able
    to prefetch over flattened many-to-many using joint prefetch. It is
    now working very well in our application. Thanks!

    In your previous prefetch wiki page, there was a note: "Joint
    prefetch adds an extra inner join to the main query. This may result
    in fewer objects returned than expected." Are this statement still
    (>= M8) true?

    One question about the following code example on the new prefetch
    wiki page:
    // after adding a new prefetch, change its semantics to joint
    query.addJointPrefetch("paintingArray").setSemantics(
                     PrefetchTreeNode.JOINT_PREFETCH_SEMANTICS);

    Could it happen that "addJointPrefetch" would result in a disjoint
    prefetch?

    Regards,
      - Tore.