Re: XMLEncoder

From: Kevin Menard (kmenar..ervprise.com)
Date: Sat Dec 03 2005 - 22:07:40 EST

    On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 06:30:26 -0500, Andrus Adamchik
    <andru..bjectstyle.org> wrote:

    > On Nov 26, 2005, at 1:02 AM, Cris Daniluk wrote:
    >
    >> Is XMLEncoder.encodeList() correctly marked as deprecated? If so, what
    >> should be used in its place?
    >
    > Yes, this static method is redundant. You can use this instead:
    >
    > new XMLEncoder().encode(rootXmlTag, objects);

    Sorry, I've been extremely busy trying to get thesis work done. Anyway,
    time for me to chime in.

    The original static method was indeed "redundant", but it was provided
    because it was intuitively named and represented a very common action.
    John and I had worked through the API a bit and decided it really was a
    nice thing to have.

    I really would like to see it undeprecated. There are some other API
    changes that I'm not sure really make sense either (e.g., having a public
    nodeToString() method). Or rather, they may make sense at some level, but
    I don't really find them to user-friendly. It may just be that I'm
    attached to the original API, having come up with it, so any rationale for
    the changes would be greatly appreciated.

    --
    Kevin