Re: NetBeans for the Modeler

From: Ahmed Mohombe (amohomb..ahoo.com)
Date: Wed Feb 08 2006 - 18:26:24 EST

    > When I recently discovered the progress NetBeans had made, first thought
    > was of course - how can we use it in CayenneModeler development.

    > At the moment Eclipse is still a superior IDE and I have no plans to
    > switch from it personally,
    Than it's clear you haven't gave IntelliJ a real try :).

    > My thinking is that CayenneModeler switching to NetBeans would be
    > equivalent to changing our docs system from CVS/XML to Wiki - the rate
    > of community contribution will grow up significantly.
    >
    > I have no plans to do it immediately (and don't yet have enough NetBeans
    > knowledge to make such a decision), but I thought I'd bring it up.
    I worked an 2 projects with Eclipse RCP and one with the new Netbeans Platform (still working on this).
    Without the intent to start a flame, but the following is my experience with them and other in house
    RCPs:
    - NetBeans platform is:
         -by far much better than the Eclipse RCP.
         -easier to program with.
         -much smaller.
         -pure Swing, so it was working even on exotic types of Unix that Eclipse does not even support
      but:
         - the documentation is not that good
         - much more is required to be tried in the old try and fail way of work.

    - while the idea is very appealing in the beginning, both are a too much knowhow effort for teams
    and require too much to learn. If however one is learning those things, finds right away that the
    old good way (without them) is much better, much flexible and would have not required the effort.

    My 2 cents: - if it's not imposed by the management or the customers, do *not* use them.

    It's much better to use small frameworks like JGoodies (and other from dev.java.net) and to "make"
    your own RCP (well that's too much said), but I suppose you know what I mean :).

    Ahmed.