Re: NetBeans for the Modeler

From: Ahmed Mohombe (amohomb..ahoo.com)
Date: Thu Feb 09 2006 - 06:33:46 EST

    >> BTW, there is one thing I am missing in vanilla Swing that often
    >> prompts me to look for alternatives (I know I can write it from
    >> scratch, but I'd rather not) - a frame with docking resizable views
    >> that can be dragged around, kind of like Eclipse or NetBeans main
    >> frame. Are there any open source Swing implementations under Apache or
    >> BSD license?
    >>

    > Hi
    >
    > The only open source docking framework I am aware of is Flexdock.
    >
    > https://flexdock.dev.java.net/
    Exactly :).

    As I mentioned in my previous mail, dev.java.net has many many small frameworks that help do
    specific things, without the need to get deep in some heavyweight RCP.
    Most of them are also small enough for a person to very fast understand them, and also the authors
    are very helping.

    AFAIK Flexdoc was originally developed by Marius here:
    http://www.eleritec.net/

    and now is maintained is maintained by Scott Delap.
    He is the owner of this: http://www.clientjava.com/ - the top GUI blog so far, and the his book is
    also very good :).

    While Flexdoc is far from ready, is was very usable for most projects where I used it or I saw it
    used by others. IMHO it has everything CayenneModeler would need.

    Ahmed.
    P.S. If you wish, I could make a list of frameworks that I used and could deliver different
    functionalities for CayenneModeler (as a replacement for a full blown RCP :) ) - just tell me :) .