Re: JPA RoadMap

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sun Feb 19 2006 - 23:17:55 EST

    On Feb 19, 2006, at 9:38 PM, Ashley Aitken wrote:

    > This is a very interesting direction for Cayenne and I wish you all
    > well.

    For now we are building a JPA facade. We'll see if that's going to
    become a "direction" ;-) The spec is rather narrow in scope,
    concentrating on object *relational* mapping. Cayenne does more than
    that.

    > 1. Do you see the Cayenne Developer GUI tool being able to be used
    > with JPA

    Absolutely. Although I have no concrete strategy regarding the
    Modeler and JPA, I don't see the Modeler going away. Also with
    CAY-455 we'll have a translator between Cayenne and JPA mapping
    formats - a good start for integrating with the Modeler.

    > 2. I thought JPA required POJO persistence? Doesn't Cayenne
    > require inheritance from a base class ...

    Not a problem for two reasons:

    1. JPA defines ClassTransformer interface for runtime class
    enhancement JDO-style. So we can make a DataObject out of a POJO when
    we want.

    2. Latest 1.2 milestones more and more rely on the new
    org.objectstyle.cayenne.property.ClassDescriptor interface, making
    common superclass less crucial. If we have to get rid of it, we can
    probably do it now.

    Hmm... this reminds me that I need to create another roadmap task -
    play with ClassTransformer :-)

    Andrus