Re: issues mailing list?

From: Bill Dudney (bdudne..pache.org)
Date: Fri Mar 17 2006 - 15:18:08 EST

    On Mar 17, 2006, at 9:20 AM, Mike Kienenberger wrote:

    > Just to clarify, cayenne-dev under Apache will be required to receive
    > all scm messages, and the cayenne-pmc members will be required to be
    > reading them. Part of the responsibility of being a pmc member is
    > that you insure that code checked in meets apache standards (generally
    > legal licensing issues) and you cannot be doing that if you're not
    > watching all commits. At least this is my understanding. Probably
    > another thing to ask for clarification on in the incubator.

    The PMC should be reviewing the commits but I don't think the cayenne-
    dev list needs to get all the scm related messages. In myfaces the
    reply-to is set to de..and the messages are sent to commits@.

    I much prefer this setup instead of the dev lists being flooded with
    messages.

    > At least under MyFaces, all jira changes are sent to the dev list.
    > This has actually been quite helpful to me. There have been times
    > when what was going on in an issue impacts something else I've been
    > working on or vice-versa, even though I would never have monitored the
    > issue under other circumstances. It also makes it more obvious when
    > a few "me toos" get posted to an issue -- if you only see the initial
    > issue request, then you really don't get a feel for those.

    I like having JIRA's posted to the list too. I might ignore them but
    at least I have the opportunity to review them without having to go
    fishing in the JIRA instance.

    > I don't know that redirecting all jira comments to dev is a
    > requirement of apache, though. I'd hope that if it is not, we could
    > at least set up another mailing list for people to opt-in to receive
    > all jira change messages.

    I think dev is the place unless we want' the issues list (which was
    the point of this thread :-)

    Thanks,

    Bill Dudney
    MyFaces - http://myfaces.apache.org