External framework tie-ins?

From: Kevin Menard (kmenar..ervprise.com)
Date: Fri Jun 23 2006 - 09:06:41 EDT

    Hey all,

    The recent thread with Michael re: Tapestry and even the one on the users
    list not too long ago about HiveMind & Cayenne got me thinking a little.
    How do you guys feel about having framework extension package in Cayenne?
    I realize there's a push not to include what can be perceived as bloat,
    but realistically, a few extra classes here and there aren't going to make
    a huge difference. Currently, we rely on the external frameworks to add
    support for Cayenne. If they don't add it, then we sorta just linger.
    E.g., Spring didn't add Cayenne support, so Spring-Cayenne integration
    went into an external lib that hardly anyone uses.

    Cayenne is pretty simple to integrate with most frameworks, so I think
    we've ignored the integration aspect thus far. But everyone that wants to
    tie in with Tapestry, for example, has to jump through the same (few)
    hoops. I suppose that could be one argument for using Click, which seems
    to work well with Cayenne out of the box, but we should try to maximize
    exposure.

    The presence of an external contrib lib could be argued for, but what I'm
    aiming to do is cut down on the amount of time to tie in with whatever
    other frameworks. I also want something that is fairly well supported and
    maintained.

    --
    Kevin