Re: rop-browser design

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Mon Jul 24 2006 - 16:35:08 EDT

    On Jul 24, 2006, at 2:19 AM, Marcel wrote:
    > I guess most of you haven't seen what I'm doing, but I thought I'd
    > ask for some input via the mailing list since that's The Way It's
    > Done Round Here.

    yep.

    > There is a picture at [1] which shows the problem at hand. Using
    > the Artist - Painting - Gallery DB, when a new Painting is created,
    > its Gallery needs to be set. It can easily be set to a new Gallery,
    > but I may want to set it to an existing one, which may not be
    > displayed in the diagram. More generally, I need a way to set an
    > object in the diagram to an instance which is already in the DB,
    > but not yet displayed in the diagram.

    I was going to point out to that problem before as well. I beat me on
    that.

    > All the other processes are entirely visual at present, so I'm
    > reluctant to add dialogs, but...

    Actually I wouldn't mind dropdowns in other places, such as
    collection navigation. While I like the latest UI a lot, I still find
    it hard to get around finding an object in a collection, and often
    confuse collections with single objects cause they look the same. But
    that's beyond the point...

    > At the moment I think the best (read 'only practical') way to do it
    > is via a wizard. The user selects a NamedQuery from the map, sets
    > key/value parameters, and picks from the results.

    How about expanding the control panel capabilities? Current control
    panel opens a new "Object Editor" window on every query run. We can
    do two things:

    * (optionally) open the results in the same Object Editor.
    * support entering query parameters when running the query (judging
    by your earlier questions, you were looking at parameterized queries
    already). This way users can pinpoint the right object.

    One catch with the last point is that supported parameter names are
    not available via the metadata. So the user will have to specify
    values and *keys*. In the future we may provide a collection of valid
    keys via EntityResolver.

    Andrus