Re: VOTE: Move to Java 5 for Cayenne 3.0

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..aniatis.org)
Date: Mon Aug 13 2007 - 19:43:46 EDT

    On 14/08/2007, at 4:11 AM, Kevin Menard wrote:

    > Since this is a bit of a big change for us, and Ari had expressed some
    > concern, I'd like to just take a vote to ensure this is the
    > direction we are
    > heading.

    I certainly see the benefit in the longer term, but I wonder what the
    purpose of this change is right now half way through the 3.0
    development process. Personally I'd like to see 3.0 out as soon as
    possible, since it has been a long time since the last stable new
    feature release (1.2) and I think releases help keep up the perceived
    momentum of the project.

    Is the plan for 3.0 to not release until it has full JPA compliance?
    If so, a release this year seems unlikely.

    Will moving to JDK 5 be a change in label only, or will we actually
    go in and implement generics throughout all the classes, possibly
    requiring some API changes along the way to do it right? Will this
    then add 3-6 months to the release of 3.0 while the changes are
    ironed out? Are there other JDK 5 features we desperately want to
    use? I know that the Swing improvements could make the modeler nicer,
    but that too requires a whole bunch of work. I've just done a lot of
    work putting generics into my major project, and it isn't always as
    simple as pressing the 'add generics to this class...' button in
    Eclipse.

    * generics
    * swing improvements
    * nicer for loop (but very minor functional change or speed improvement)
    * other little things

    So my hesitation is to do with feature creep. If moving to 1.5 adds
    to the release schedule considerably, then I'm -1.

    Sorry to sidetrack this vote with questions, but I'd like to be clear
    about the benefits/costs of this decision.

    Ari Maniatis

    Aristedes Maniatis
    phone +61 2 9660 9700
    PGP fingerprint 08 57 20 4B 80 69 59 E2 A9 BF 2D 48 C2 20 0C C8