Re: JPA crossroads

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..sh.com.au)
Date: Wed Apr 08 2009 - 19:57:40 EDT

    On 09/04/2009, at 7:26 AM, Robert Zeigler wrote:

    > I've always considered specs like JPA to be, well, a bit of a pipe
    > dream. Once upon a time, I thought I cared about the ability to
    > switch between persistence providers. But then I realized that, no,
    > actually, I really don't. Persistence is an area where you choose a
    > provider based on differences from rather than similarities to other
    > providers. Even having an opportunity last year to do a significant
    > amount of work with a (largely) JPA shop didn't really change my
    > perspective; they still found areas where the spec wasn't enough,
    > where they had to lean on hibernate-specific features. At that
    > point, the "happy promise" of "switch providers anytime" is broken.
    > So, I'm with Andrus: let's not be afraid to adopt /good/ ideas in
    > other frameworks, but also forge ahead where we're strong.

    I'm still unsure why anything has to be done about this now within
    Cayenne. Yes, there is a 80% JPA solution in there. Many people use
    bits of it: lifecycle events, EJBQL, etc

    I'm not clear what would be removed or why anything would be removed.
    What not just change the documentation to reflect the fact that the
    JPA is not a current goal but there are plenty of parts of it which
    are implemented which will make migration from other frameworks
    simpler (but not automatic). For example, we have lifecycle events
    which match the JPA but we agree they aren't all the ideal. So we
    could add more, but still leave those existing hooks in place for
    people coming from a tool where they are supported and where they
    don't want to rewrite too much code.

    JPA is a useful marketing moniker. It will help (sometimes) get
    Cayenne across the line with management in some organisations just by
    having a section of the docs that discusses it, even if ultimately the
    development team don't use any part of it.

    JPA pages on the Cayenne site make up 2.14% of page views (not
    including javadocs) but are less likely than other pages on the site
    to be the last page a reader looks at before leaving (that is, they
    tend to go on to read other parts of the site).

    Ari Maniatis

    ish
    http://www.ish.com.au
    phone +61 2 9550 5001 fax +61 2 9550 4001