Re: maven plugin for importing DB schema

From: Kevin Menard (nirvdru..mail.com)
Date: Sat Apr 11 2009 - 09:16:54 EDT

    I'm not sure the duplicate work is coming from. No one else has picked up
    the issues.

    It's also not as simple as just refactoring the modeler code. DbLoader
    requires a delegate that handles the addition and removal of object and DB
    entities and currently there's a lot of code tied into the UI from that
    delegate. I'm not convinced that abstracting all of that out is going to
    make the code any clearer. So, I'm tackling this on a one-off basis first,
    seeing what's common, and then taking it from there. Given that I drove
    primary development on all of the maven plugins and a large part of the ant
    ones, I feel this is the best approach to take.

    If you'd like to help out testing CAY-1029, feel free to start up a simple
    project in maven. If not, that's fine, too. I'll get to CAY-1197 someday
    and I'll set up a simple project in ant. There are people interested in
    both so I should get feedback one way or another.

    Incidentally, the maven plugins and ant tasks are a great place for a
    community member to supply a patch. In fact, it's how I got started with
    Cayenne. They're abstracted enough out of core that the opportunity for
    damage is fairly minimal.

    --
    Kevin