Re: maven dependency issues

From: Andrey Razumovsky (razumovsky.andre..mail.com)
Date: Sat Dec 26 2009 - 02:47:36 EST

    2009/12/26 Aristedes Maniatis <ar..sh.com.au>

    > 1. The top level pom (cayenne-parent) has a module "framework". The
    > framework (cayenne-framework-parent) pom has a parent "cayenne-parent" and
    > has a module "cayenne-tools". The cayenne-tools pom has a parent
    > "cayenne-parent" rather than "cayenne-framework-parent". That is, modules
    > represent the children, and parent should be the reverse of that. But in
    > this case, the parent points to the grandparent.

    To me, this looks incorrect. Parent should be cay-framework-parent

    > 2. Why are there inconsistent groupids? org.apache.cayenne.parents and
    > org.apache.cayenne. Can we just have one groupid for the entire project?

    Again, I don't think this is fine..

    > 3. Why is the version in the 3.0 poms still referring to 3.0-SNAPSHOT,
    > rather than 3.0-BETA1? And why do we have to change that in 20 files? Can't
    > maven inherit from the top pom somehow?

    Because this is code in change - snapshot. Version is only changed during
    release building. Otherwise we risk to have many builds that "are" BETA-1.
    We can't have it in just one parent POM because every module is on its own.
    E.g. you can run install for only cay-jdk15-unpublished - then it needs to
    know its own version and what is the version of its parent.

    > 4. Will changing the above things be disruptive to the maven universe now
    > that artifacts have already been deployed?

    Theorically yes, but actually no, because mostly you need to depend only on
    cayenne-server and cayenne-client artifacts in your app and these will not
    change. Also already built artifacts will not change, so problems only can
    occur when migrating to newer version. And we will change only current trunk
    (3.1) structure (?)

    Andrey