Re: BLOB Insertions

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Thu May 08 2003 - 15:12:42 EDT

    > Earlier we had an issue of trying to insert data larger than ~3KB into a
    > LONG RAW field (Oracle 8i table). We have subsequently upgraded our
    > Cayenne to 1.0b2 and attempted the same operation on a BLOB field with
    > the same result,
    >
    > " java.sql.SQLException: ORA-01483: invalid length for DATE or NUMBER
    > bind variable "
    >
    > Any thoughts or any tricks to get this to work?
    >
    > Lonnie Matsuno

    Lonnie,

    I did some research and indeed there is some (undocumented?) limitation in
    the Oracle driver that allows to insert CLOB/BLOB as normal JDBC statement
    values till a certain size is reached, but the values bigger than that
    size must be inserted using a different procedure. I can consistently
    reproduce this on 9i (and saw other people's postings about the same
    problem with 8i).

    I found a solution, but it will take some time to implement and test. I
    will open a Cayenne bug for that. Cayenne b3 will include the fix.
    Hopefully nightly builds will include this in a few days.

    Andrus