RE: PK problem with Postgre

From: Gentry, Michael \(Contractor\) ("Gentry,)
Date: Fri Apr 21 2006 - 09:11:51 EDT

    When Cayenne reads the sequence value the first time, it caches 20 keys
    internally (although you can change 20 to a value appropriate for your
    application, just make sure the value you tell Cayenne to use matches
    the increment_by attribute of the PostgreSQL sequence). The next 19
    inserts into that table do not require a trip to the database to fetch a
    primary key, thus speeding up inserts. This is why you don't see
    Cayenne accessing the sequence on the second insert. Also, the Cayenne
    Modeler will generate the sequences for the tables for you, but you can
    still do it by hand.

    Hope that helps,

    /dev/mrg