Re: Cayenne vs JPA tools

From: Mike Kienenberger (mkienen..mail.com)
Date: Sun Feb 25 2007 - 13:47:08 EST

    Dov,

    My suggestion would be that you try to do everything you can with the
    JPA api, and supplement the rest with whichever specific JPA
    implementor you're using.

    Worse case, you'll be more easily migrate to another JPA implementor
    if the current one doesn't work out.

    You can probably even do things like import your EOModel into Cayenne,
    and if Cayenne JPA isn't far enough along at a given point for your
    purposes, you can just use it to generate generic JPA files and use
    another implementation (Toplink Essentials, Hibernate, OpenJPA,
    whatever) as your runtime.

    As you noted, Cayenne's biggest draw is the modeler. As time passes,
    the JPA implementations are all going to start to look identical to
    the end-user, and only extras like the modeler will provide
    distinctions.

    My current project is not Cayenne-based, but I've modified the 1.2
    Cayenne modeler to read in the metadata (stored in a proprietary
    database format) for this project, and generate appropriate classes
    (currently stub DAOs pretending to be a database layer). A little
    further down the road, I'll be using the modeler to generate JPA. I
    don't have any control over which version of JPA we'll end up using,
    but in my opinion that's less important than the modeling tool.