Re: Encrypted Fields

From: Aristedes Maniatis (ar..sh.com.au)
Date: Sat Feb 07 2009 - 16:46:30 EST

    Except that credit cards are not a good example here. Speak to your
    gateway provider, but here in Australia they all let you run
    transactions against the same credit card *without storing the card
    number/expiry date/cvv*. Instead you store the previous transaction
    reference and you can use that to process future card payments between
    that card and the same merchant. Infinitely safer than storing card
    numbers.

    Americans certainly are strange with their SSNs. You give them out at
    the drop of a hat to buy popcorn, and then still use them as a
    'secure' form of identification.

    Ari

    On 08/02/2009, at 7:39 AM, Joe Baldwin wrote:

    > I agree. It is hardly worth the effort of storing a credit card
    > number for a customer if you can't run a transaction for the customer.
    >
    > Also, I think Michael and Chad convinced me to do Java-domain
    > encryption. I think Chad said they had included the algorithms in
    > Java 6. However, I am now caught up in another sysadmin problem
    > with OSX and Java 6. (I can't get Java 6 to run yet). Still
    > working on it.
    >
    > Joe
    >

    > On Feb 7, 2009, at 2:15 PM, Andrus Adamchik wrote:
    >
    >> One-way hashing works great for passwords (and is in fact THE way
    >> to store passwords in the DB). It doesn't work for anything else,
    >> as usually you do want to have access to the data you've encrypted.
    >>
    >> Andrus
    >>
    >> On Feb 7, 2009, at 8:50 PM, Dov Rosenberg wrote:
    >>
    >>> One of our customers who is big into security had a pretty good
    >>> idea. Their
    >>> concern was that if the sensitive data could be decrypted it was
    >>> vulnerable
    >>> and considered a security risk. They proposed using a one way
    >>> encryption
    >>> algorithm and then only comparing the hash values of the sensitive
    >>> data -
    >>> not the actual data itself. I am not certain which algorithm they
    >>> were
    >>> talking about.
    >>>
    >>> Dov Rosenberg

    ish
    http://www.ish.com.au
    phone +61 2 9550 5001 fax +61 2 9550 4001