FrameworkSet questions

From: tblanchar..ac.com
Date: Tue Aug 13 2002 - 08:20:15 EDT

    I'm trying to work with WOApplication and to be honest, I'm finding the
    FrameworkSet class to be really strange and I don't understand why its
    been limited in such a strange way.

    It seems to me that it would be more natural to simply let FrameworkSet
    take a dir parameter like DirSet or FileSet and then provide some
    predefined property names for these predefined roots rather then
    disallow the use of dir and then have root do all this fancy looking up
    of private properties. Its not at all ant-like and its very confusing
    for a user. I actually had to read the source code for the class to
    find out how it works because its so different from how the other sets
    work.

    What I would like to suggest is that we leave root as a synonym for dir,
    then change the implementation of dir to be:

             public void setDir(File dir) throws BuildException
             {
                 setRoot(dir.getAbsolutePath());
             }

    This at least allows dir to work as expected on unix (I think it has
    issues on Windows since the test is looking for a string that starts
    with "/".

    I think it would make more sense though, rather than have user enter
    something like root="sometokenname" to actually define those properties
    per platform and then have the user be able to do dir="${sometokenname}"
    so it works like everything else.

    This is what I've done with my version.