Re: WOLips direction and feedback

From: Andrus (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Mon Sep 02 2002 - 15:13:37 EDT

    Hi Ulrich,

    I am about to start looking at your PB.project update code and converting
    it to the ant task. Suggested name for the Ant task is "PBIndex". I
    understand that all the relevant code is under
    org.objectstyle.wolips.project package, right?

    I guess for now I will create a clone of those classes under woproject and
    develop them independently. After this is done, we will integrate them back
    to WOLips and remove all redundant code.

    >- Should there be a ant script in the project(WOFramework or
    >WOApplication) or is it okay to use the ones in the plugin?

    I am not following this one. Are you asking whether to include build.xml
    with the projects created with WOLips? I'd say so. WOLips should create a
    simple buildfile editable by users. This will allow customization and make
    the projects independent from Eclipse. Though I don't know how this
    integrates with incremental Eclipse builds.

    >-There was not to much feedback about problems so I guess all the stuff
    >work as expected. :-) So please provide feedback.

    This is my experience with OpenSource in general. The only way to hear
    about the problems is to "officially" release the project and wait for a
    1-2 months for everyone to upgrade. :-).

    Seriously, community participation is usually inversely proportional to the
    complexity of the code. WOProject ant tasks are rather transparent, so we
    received lots of feedback, patches, etc. WOLips requires understanding of
    how Eclipse plugins work, so most of the people (myself included :-)) are
    trying to stay away from the technicalities. I've experienced the same
    thing with Cayenne as well.

    Andrus