Re: WOLips direction and feedback

From: uli (ul..ac.com)
Date: Tue Sep 03 2002 - 03:05:56 EDT

    HiAndrus

    Am Montag, 02.09.02, um 21:13 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb Andrus:

    > Hi Ulrich,
    >
    > I am about to start looking at your PB.project update code and
    > converting it to the ant task. Suggested name for the Ant task is
    > "PBIndex". I understand that all the relevant code is under
    > org.objectstyle.wolips.project package, right?

    You`re right. But it`s important that you take care that the NEXT_ROOT
    is not set under MacOSX. This is fixed in the WOLips build file. The
    stuff under io is also used. PBProject.java is a wrapper for a
    PB.project file. PBProjectUpdater.java can create and update PB.project
    files.

    > I guess for now I will create a clone of those classes under woproject
    > and develop them independently. After this is done, we will integrate
    > them back to WOLips and remove all redundant code.

    My idea was to call the ant task with an AntRunner. So we need this
    code only once. If we put a build file like this in the WOFramework
    project.

    properties.
    .
    target updatePBProject
    ->runs PBIndex

    target builde
    ->runs WOFramework

    If you take a look at the stuff at org.objectstyle.wolips.builder you
    will see that an AntRunner only needs some lines of code. WOLips could
    invoke the right target to update the PBProject.

    >> - Should there be a ant script in the project(WOFramework or
    >> WOApplication) or is it okay to use the ones in the plugin?
    >
    > I am not following this one. Are you asking whether to include
    > build.xml with the projects created with WOLips? I'd say so. WOLips
    > should create a simple buildfile editable by users. This will allow
    > customization and make the projects independent from Eclipse. Though I
    > don't know how this integrates with incremental Eclipse builds.

    Okay I will put a buildfile into the Eclipse project.

    >> -There was not to much feedback about problems so I guess all the
    >> stuff work as expected. :-) So please provide feedback.
    >
    > This is my experience with OpenSource in general. The only way to hear
    > about the problems is to "officially" release the project and wait for
    > a 1-2 months for everyone to upgrade. :-).
    > Seriously, community participation is usually inversely proportional
    > to the complexity of the code. WOProject ant tasks are rather
    > transparent, so we received lots of feedback, patches, etc. WOLips
    > requires understanding of how Eclipse plugins work, so most of the
    > people (myself included :-)) are trying to stay away from the
    > technicalities. I've experienced the same thing with Cayenne as well.

    > Andrus

    :-)

    Ulrich