Re: Jar name not lowercased

From: Kaj Hejer (kaj.heje..sit.uio.no)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 07:38:59 EDT

    At 13:09 +0200 02-10-02, Anjo Krank wrote:
    > The problem is that the naming isn't stringently maintained, WO
    >sometimes has uppercase and sometimes lowercase names.

    Just fyi:

    In WO5.1 frameworks built on windows have the jar-filename in lowercase,
    but that was not the case on osx. I filed a bugreport on this a long time
    ago (#2834463).

    That can be a problem for applications looking for the frameworks when
    deploying on f.x. solaris.

    I haven't checked if this still is a problem in the lastest updates to WO5.1.

    Our workaround has been to use lowercase when naming the frameworks we make
    ourself.

    When I now re-read the bugreport I see that it looks like we only had this
    problem with frameworks converted from WO4.5. I include the bugreport
    bellow:

    ---
    * TITLE/SUMMARY

    When compiling av framework with mixed case (or uppercase) in its name (f.x. UIOFW) the jarfile produced when compiling on windows is only in lowercase (f.x. uiofw.jar). When including this framework in a project from MacOS X the applications looks for UIOFW.jar (not uiofw.jar).

    This is easy to see this from the output when starting the application from the commandline. Then you see what classpath is used.

    Our setup set WO5 update 2 on windows 2000 and WO5 update 3 on MacOS X 10.1.2

    * STEPS TO REPRODUCE 1) create a framework on windows with a mixedcase or uppercase name (f.x. UIOFW). 2) compile it 3) check the .jar file produced. It is in lowercase only (f.x. uiofw.jar) 4) copy to framework to osx (the dirdctory UIOFW.framework) 5) create a project on osx and include this framework (f.x. UIOFW) 6) let a class in the application extend a class in the framwork 7) compile this application 8) start this application from the commandline in osx (to see the classpath used)

    * RESULTS The application will not start because it cant find any resources in the framwork.

    If I change the name of the file /Library/Frameworks/UIOFW.framework/Resources/Java/uiofw.jar to /Library/Frameworks/UIOFW.framework/Resources/Java/UIOFW.jar it works just fine.

    To me this looks like a bug in compiling frameworks on windows creating a jar-file with wrong case in the filename (not using the case from the projectname).

    * NOTES We have only done this with frameworks converted from WO4.5 with the JavaConverter

    -Kaj :)