Core WOProject lead needed

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 12:05:11 EDT

    Hi everybody,

    This email is about WOProject status and the future.

    First, I am really glad to see how the whole idea and the community around
    it grew in just a few months. I started it as a quick hack since I had real
    hard time using PB on a 4.5->5.1 conversion project. And it extended far
    beyond its original concept. Just a few cool things like single folder
    deployment concept and WOLips Eclipse plugin - a real competitor to
    ProjectBuilder make it worth the effort.

    Unfortunately in the current market situation I no longer use WebObjects on
    the daily basis. All my free time is spent on improving Cayenne that has a
    growing user base, including some paying customers. In these circumstances
    it becomes harder and harder to catch up with the feature requests and
    general WebObjects progress. Like with any OpenSource effort you must have a
    personal "itch" to be a motivated developer. I am loosing this now.

    There is tons of things I'd love to implement but don't have the time and
    enough personal motivation. For instance Reimer's WOStart would allow us to
    dump the ugly scripts and make the whole deployment a clean and consistent
    process, etc.

    We have quiet a few committers that are doing a great job with WOLips. All
    the work done by Ulrich is unbelievable.

    But I'd like to ask if anyone has a desire, and most importantly motivation
    to step up and take over the development of WOProject core - all the current
    and future ant tasks?

    I will definitely continue to provide all needed administrative support -
    web site maintenance, mailing lists, etc., and would stay involved as much
    as I can, but I think it will be beneficial to the project if somebody
    closer to WebObjects than I am at the moment will lead the development.

    Andrus