Re: Plugins for html, XML and Ant

From: Anders Peterson (anders_peterso..ptimatika.se)
Date: Thu Dec 12 2002 - 10:13:30 EST

    On torsdag, dec 12, 2002, at 15:17 Europe/Stockholm, Cyrill Rüttimann
    wrote:

    >>> Is stable, gives you options how to complete if you just type <jav
    >>> like the java editor including javadoc
    >>>
    >>> antview is not working on MacOS X, but now integrated into Eclipse
    >>> (since M3 and working since Dec. 3) so you will not miss it.
    >>
    >> I don't follow what you are saying about antview.
    > There is a plugin named ant view from a developer and the eclipse team
    > has not integrated antview. Did you recognize the difference - one
    > with space and one without space. The plugin from the developer does
    > not work on MacOS X. Antview from eclipse is only for executing ant
    > scripts, and is working properly since Dec. 3. Before, nothing happens
    > if you executed an ant task.

    I did not recognise the difference between 'ant view' and 'antview' -
    now I have.

    >>> Is stable, auto completion, hierarchical view of tags
    >>
    >> So this would be a good general purpose XML tool, but for a more
    >> specific task (like Ant) other plugins are better?
    > Yes, if you install jalopy, all build.xml files are opened with
    > jalolopy by default. I recommenend jalopy to edit ant files in favor
    > of xmlbuddy.

    Do you mean Planty?

    >>> Jalopy is also great to format your code, but does not work on MacOS
    >>> X.

      I prefer plugins that work on Mac (as well).

    >> Have you tried EclipseCheckstyleV2 / com.telesynthesiheckstyle_2.0.0 ?
    >>
    > No, I will give it a try - there are to many plug ins available ...

    Yes, there are many!

    > I am interested how solareclipse works! Have you also tried other
    > plugins for the same task?

    Several months ago I tried:

    1) Checkstyle http://www.telesynthesis.com/downloads/download.htm
    (Java Code Auditor)
    2) PMD http://sourceforge.net/projects/pmd/ (Java source code analyzer)
    3) Jalopy http://jalopy.sourceforge.net/ (Java source code
    formatter/beautifier)

    At that time I quickly got rid of PMD and Jalopy, but kept Checkstyle
    for a while. I tested on an old Windows laptop. I believe there where
    performance issues with some or all of these plugins. Currently I don't
    have any plugins other than WOLips installed.

    Recently I became interested in:

    a) Planty http://www.gebit.de/download/planty/planty.html (Ant editing)
    b) XMLBuddy http://www.xmlbuddy.com/ (XML...)
    c) SolarEclipse http://sourceforge.net/projects/solareclipse/
    (Web-Application Development Environment - XML/HTML/JSP.)

    It seems Planty is something I should get, and SolarEclipse is
    interesting but XMLBUddy is probably not the right tool for me.

    /Anders