RE: [webobjects-newbies] Re: WebObjects development under Linux/WINE?

From: Christian Gruber (cgrube..srafil.net)
Date: Fri Dec 13 2002 - 16:36:46 EST

    I should look at these licenses again. I wouldn't want to accidentally
    transgress. ;)

    I actually think that there's a legal limit to Copyright licensing, in
    that I don't think they can technically hold me in violation for
    developing on OpenBSD, if I have a license purchased for one developer
    seat. They can completely refuse to support my configuration...

    The other thing, though, is that on OpenBSD, I have a deployment license
    installed. I don't believe that there's any way they can legitimately
    prevent me from compiling java code against libraries, which is all I'm
    doing. I'm certainly not running any of the tools on OpenBSD.

    Lastly, what would WINE involve, since it's sort of "Windows" or win32
    at any rate, but it's not. Where does the definition of platform come
    in here.

    I think the thing is so hazy and the terms of reference are too vague in
    normal speech that unless Apple decided to clearly define these terms,
    any reasonable court (in Canada anyway) would have a hard time finding
    against me. Especially since you have to prove harm in some way to sue
    someone.

    As an aside, Wotonomy (http://wotonomy.sourceforge.net) is a (largely)
    source compatible replacement for WO, which would probably be useable
    (with some changes) from within WOLips. Having an EOModeler equivalent
    and other similar apps would help there as well.

    Cg.