Re: [webobjects-newbies] Re: WebObjects development under Linux/WINE?

From: Anjo Krank (anjo.kran..-online.de)
Date: Sun Dec 15 2002 - 09:41:46 EST

    Hi Ulrich,

    Am Samstag, 14.12.02, um 16:34 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb Anjo Krank:
    >> Sounds promising.
    >>
    >> Do you have the time to integrate it, I will help you. :-)
    >
    > "Time"...now what is that again? Seriously, I have my plate fuller
    > than I'd like: I just put DynaReporting into Wonder and need to do a
    > project with it amongst other things. As much as I loathe PBX, I think
    > I will wait until java 1.4 is final before I start to do real work
    > with Eclipse. What I'd like to check out is if I can use Eclipse as an
    > external editor for PBX (there is a new version of the dev-tools
    > available). That way, the project can be built (and *laid out*, I hate
    > the file-system centric view in Eclipse) in PBX, but edited with
    > reasonable java support. Even better would be to embed the editor
    > panel into the PBX window...
    >
    > But thanks a lot for the offer. I only tried a few things in Eclipse,
    > but it seemed very powerful.

    Famous last words:) I downloaded the 20021213 nightly build and must
    say, I'm very impressed. It took me a while to figure out that you have
    to create ".project" and ".classpath" files when you want to import
    existing projects without copying things around, but once this worked,
    I got an impression of all the java goodies that it has to offer.

    That being said, I don't think I'll use it for *general* wo development
    because of a few issues:

    - the UI sucks, sucks, sucks. It is terribly buggy, refreshing poorly
    and has lots of annoying things like triple-clicking doesn't select the
    whole line, tabs don't move to the next field, alt-clicking doesn't
    open the whole subtree etc.
    - the java browser is pretty good, but the editor panel aren't too
    clever either, because you quickly lose the overview when you have
    files with long names that start with the same letters (ERD2W...). The
    popups are too non-standard to be of general use.
    - the view is too file-system centric. I really like the way you can
    lay out your stuff freely in PBX - as WO apps don't really lend
    themselves to packages, you need to be able to categorize things as you
    like. *Especially* that the classes are in a different location than
    the .wo's drives me nuts. I'd absolutely need a tree-view where I could
    move stuff around.

    On the brighter side, Doc integration and the task panel is very cool,
    refactoring is great and the ability to hotswap is *so* fantastic (I
    needed this so much that I made the compilerproxy over a year ago to
    get around the missing WebScript, but it is far less effective).

    So I guess, I'll mainly do component related work in PBX and do debug-,
    documentation, maintainance and model-centric things in Eclipse. I'll
    see how that works out. What I'll do is to add .classpath and .project
    files into Wonder, so you people can use it too.

    Finally, let me say that WOLips (and WOProject) are superb products.
    Thanks for putting all the work into it.

    Cheers, Anjo