Re: [webobjects-newbies] Re: WebObjects development under Linux/WINE?

From: Ulrich Köster (ulric..ssense.com)
Date: Sun Dec 15 2002 - 11:01:12 EST

    Hi Anjo,

    Am Sonntag, 15.12.02 um 15:41 Uhr schrieb Anjo Krank:

    > Hi Ulrich,
    >
    > Am Samstag, 14.12.02, um 16:34 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb Anjo Krank:
    >>> Sounds promising.
    >>>
    >>> Do you have the time to integrate it, I will help you. :-)
    >>
    >> "Time"...now what is that again? Seriously, I have my plate fuller
    >> than I'd like: I just put DynaReporting into Wonder and need to do a
    >> project with it amongst other things. As much as I loathe PBX, I
    >> think I will wait until java 1.4 is final before I start to do real
    >> work with Eclipse. What I'd like to check out is if I can use Eclipse
    >> as an external editor for PBX (there is a new version of the
    >> dev-tools available). That way, the project can be built (and *laid
    >> out*, I hate the file-system centric view in Eclipse) in PBX, but
    >> edited with reasonable java support. Even better would be to embed
    >> the editor panel into the PBX window...
    >>
    >> But thanks a lot for the offer. I only tried a few things in Eclipse,
    >> but it seemed very powerful.
    >
    > Famous last words:) I downloaded the 20021213 nightly build and must
    > say, I'm very impressed. It took me a while to figure out that you
    > have to create ".project" and ".classpath" files when you want to
    > import existing projects without copying things around, but once this
    > worked, I got an impression of all the java goodies that it has to
    > offer.
    >
    > That being said, I don't think I'll use it for *general* wo
    > development because of a few issues:
    >
    > - the UI sucks, sucks, sucks. It is terribly buggy, refreshing poorly
    > and has lots of annoying things like triple-clicking doesn't select
    > the whole line, tabs don't move to the next field, alt-clicking
    > doesn't open the whole subtree etc.
    I`ll guess you use it on a Mac. The carbon-swt is a little bit buggy,
    but it gets better with every build. The first clicks are a little bit
    slow but a second click is very fast for a java app. Just try Netbeans
    to get a feeling how good Eclipse is.
    > - the java browser is pretty good, but the editor panel aren't too
    > clever either, because you quickly lose the overview when you have
    > files with long names that start with the same letters (ERD2W...). The
    > popups are too non-standard to be of general use.
    > - the view is too file-system centric. I really like the way you can
    > lay out your stuff freely in PBX - as WO apps don't really lend
    > themselves to packages, you need to be able to categorize things as
    > you like. *Especially* that the classes are in a different location
    > than the .wo's drives me nuts. I'd absolutely need a tree-view where I
    > could move stuff around.
    Right click on the JavaClass in the left and select 'OpenWOComponents'.
    In a future release this feature will also work in the Editor. The are
    different views in WOLips for Models Components and so on.... WOBuilder
    works with WOLips. If there is a PB.project.

    > On the brighter side, Doc integration and the task panel is very cool,
    > refactoring is great and the ability to hotswap is *so* fantastic (I
    > needed this so much that I made the compilerproxy over a year ago to
    > get around the missing WebScript, but it is far less effective).
    Yes, hotswap is great.

    > So I guess, I'll mainly do component related work in PBX and do
    > debug-, documentation, maintainance and model-centric things in
    > Eclipse. I'll see how that works out. What I'll do is to add
    > .classpath and .project files into Wonder, so you people can use it
    > too.
    I know I`ll say this again, this is the best thing. That we can choose.
    I`ll use ProjectBuilderWO only to test the correct behavior of WOLips.

    > Finally, let me say that WOLips (and WOProject) are superb products.
    > Thanks for putting all the work into it.
    You`re welcome.

    > Cheers, Anjo

    Have fun

    Ulrich