Re: [webobjects-newbies] Re: WebObjects development under Linux/WINE?

From: Anjo Krank (anjo.kran..-online.de)
Date: Sun Dec 15 2002 - 11:58:20 EST

    Hi Anders,

    Am Sonntag, 15.12.02, um 16:28 Uhr (Europe/Berlin) schrieb Anders
    Peterson:
    >> I don't really think that you can create a replacement of WOBuilder
    >> for yourself. It´s just too much work to do a reasonable HTML editor
    >> by itself, even without the WO extensions.
    >
    > There are thousands of developers setting out to do various eclipse
    > plugins. Us WO-developers are not the only ones working with html,
    > XML, Java ...
    >
    > Would it be impossible to find one or two existing eclipse plugin
    > projects and simply contribute what is needed to make it WO-aware? (It
    > doesn't have to be WO-only.) Perhaps code you, and others, already
    > have could be the basis for that contribution. Look at
    > http://sourceforge.net/projects/solareclipse/ It seems to be one
    > developer with ambitious plans. I'm sure he'd love some help.

    Sure, but it is one thing to create a simple html text editor with
    binding support like the tapestry thing and another to have a working
    and self-explaining application with stringent IDE intergation...I
    w(c)ouldn't put much work into it, because it will be a full-time
    project and I have other work to do.

    > Sometimes, when reading between the lines, I get the idea that Apple
    > is working on (cross platform) replacements for WOBuilder, EOModeler
    > and others.

    EOModeler is pretty easy, once you do away with the graphic view it's
    not much more than a bunch of inspectors. I remember someone from Apple
    at WWDC 2001 created a WO app (better than mine) that could do anything
    but the graphic view. It's only EOAccess with a bunch of icons, after
    all.

    RuleEditor is also easy, this would not take much time to make a JC app
    from it.

    But for the HTML thing, it will be much more useful to leverage an
    existing tool like GoLive or DW.

    > In terms of WOLips I think it should try to be open - to allow all and
    > any helper applications (old and new, Apple and non-Apple).
    >
    >> However, apple is paying a university project over in Australia that
    >> will make a Dreamweaver plugin for WO (or, baring it will not work, a
    >> GoLive plugin). Once this is finished, it will be placed on - guess
    >> where - Project Wonder :)
    >
    > I saw malings about this a while ago. Have they started? Is there a
    > release plan?

    No, you might ask him yourself: Naden Franciscus
    <n.franciscu..urtin.edu.au>

    But David Teran wrote this a while ago:

    ---
    We have started creating a dreamweaver mx plugin thought currently it
    only does scanning harddrive for frameworks and WOComponents and
    displays them in three popups: 1) Frameworks 2) WOComponents 3)
    Bindings. First you select 1, then 2 contains the  WOComponents and the
    you can check its bindings.

    http://www.cluster9.com/examples/

    maybe this helps to get started. ---- Cheers, Anjo