RE: classpath problems with 0.9.5

From: Christian Edward Gruber (cgrube..srafil.net)
Date: Thu Jan 09 2003 - 15:46:42 EST

    Not sure about 1) but 2) is a good question. The reason that they are
    named as such is a legacy issue owing to WebObject's history as a
    product of Next Software Inc.

    I'm not sure why LOCAL_ROOT doesn't exist, but I think we could make the
    whole scheme more consistent. Here's an approach that might solve the
    problem of /System and /Local on OSX vs. c:/Apple and C:/Apple/Local on
    NT. I propose we use the GNUstep approach.
    On OSX
    NEXT_ROOT = /
    NEXT_SYSTEM_ROOT = ${NEXT_ROOT}/System
    NEXT_LOCAL_ROOT = ${NEXT_ROOT}/Local
    NEXT_HOME_ROOT = ${HOME}/.OpenStep (or whatever)
    [I'm used to Nextstep and Mach, not OSX, so HOME_ROOT might be wrong in
    this example]

    On Windows
    NEXT_ROOT = C:/Apple
    NEXT_SYSTEM_ROOT = ${NEXT_ROOT}
    NEXT_LOCAL_ROOT = ${NEXT_ROOT}/Local
    NEXT_HOME_ROOT = ${USERPROFILE}/.OpenStep

    The above means that NEXT_SYSTEM_ROOT and NEXT_LOCAL_ROOT could be the
    basis of the patterns, obviating the issue around /System/Local

    Regards,
    Christian.