Re: Running profiled WOApps

From: Andrus Adamchik (andru..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Tue Feb 25 2003 - 16:34:14 EST

    Let me add my 2 cents :-).

    While profiling during development may give you early and important
    insights into various inefficiencies, it is very important to profile
    under real production load.

    In a multithreaded, multiuser environment, you will discover things you
    will never see on your single user development instance or a slightly
    loaded test environment. For example, threads waiting for shared resources
    to be released may become the biggest bottleneck.

    Of course turning on profiling in production will slow down the system,
    but this is sometimes unavoidable. Here we do it for say 1/2 an hour after
    every major release. (Admittedly the system I am referring to is an
    extremely high volume messaging system, not written in WebObjects).

    Andrus