Re: cvs, branches and co

From: Anders Peterson (anders_peterso..ptimatika.se)
Date: Fri Apr 04 2003 - 09:15:42 EST

    Ulrich Köster wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > there were some private discussion about branches. The target is to have
    > multible branches for the different releases like 1.0.0 and 2.0.0.
    >
    > Some things to we should talk about:
    >
    > - How to match with the Eclipse version system? Let`s assume we have two
    > branches 1.0.0 and 1.1.0.

    The 1.1.0 tag/version/branch wont exist until that release it made.

    After a while there will be a bugfix release
    > for 1.0.0 named 1.0.1. Looks good. But what if we update a plugin name
    > org.objectstyle.cayenne_1.0.6 from version beta3 to beta4. The Eclipse
    > update facillity will not recognize that org.objectstyle.cayenne_1.0.6
    > has changed. This is not a problem when we provide the dist as a tar.gz
    > but for the 1click update within Eclipse this is a problem. Features are
    > another problem. If we increment the version of one plugin we need to
    > increment the version feature. I is very likely that a feature with
    > version and branch 1.0.0 with many plugins exceed it's 1.0.9 limit if
    > there is allready a branch 1.1.0 or the head is 1.1.0 .

    So, the entire WOLips collection of features, plug-ins and fragments
    will always have the same version number.

    If there are 10 bug fix releases before a new feature release we'll just
    have to call it 1.1.0 - we should try to avoid this. I really think we
    should limit the number of releases. Users who absolutely want the
    latest features or bug fixes should build from source.

    The main reason to have branches would be to allow making a bug fix
    release although work on the next feature release has already begun.

    As I understand it branches can be cretaed as (when) needed. If we
    create a version for a release, we can then branch on that version if
    and when it becomes necessary.

    > - Directory layout: If we talk about branches we should also talk about
    > the directory layout.
    >
    > cvsroot -> wo
    > -> build.xml The buildscript to build all.
    > -> build A folder with build scripts. For instance to build a plugin or feature.
    > -> woproject woproject stuff with build.xml
    > -> wolips wolips stuff with build.xml
    > -> xdocs homepage

    Yes, WOLips should leave the src folder.

    Is it possible for the (SourceForge) project admin to allow developers
    to modify categories and groups?

    /Anders