RE: cvs, branches and co

From: Christian Edward Gruber (cgrube..srafil.net)
Date: Fri Apr 04 2003 - 09:56:42 EST

    Anders,

    Probably it means that it shouldn't have been released when it was.

    For convenience we can adopt a stable/experimental approach where even
    numbered versions are stable/released, and odd numbered are
    experimental. This allows us to release

    1.1.0->1.1.56 for developers
    and
    1.2.0->1.2.3 for end-users

    ... but still use the update/packaging system for testing. Not every
    tester needs to test the build system, and having people spend time
    there, if there is an "official" build environment which works is, in my
    view, of limited use compared with testing features and the actual
    function.

    Obviously people developing features and bug-fixes should build their
    own local build, but I believe that the majority of testers should test
    end-user worthiness, from binary packages.

    Regards,
    Christian.