RE: cvs, branches and co

From: Christian Edward Gruber (cgrube..srafil.net)
Date: Fri Apr 04 2003 - 12:47:34 EST

    True enough, I guess.

    My vision of creating updates would be that it was done automatically,
    or at least with one tag, and one command issued on a build machine
    which would push the updated package from that target to the update
    location. That will take some work to get ready, but after that,
    building-to-update should be trivial.

    I'm fine with building if necessary, I suppose. It's the middle group
    you mentioned that's in question. I tend to favour a package-release
    for such people, but you have to have the infrastructure for it. In our
    organization, we tend to build the deployment harness at the same time
    as we do initial prototype work, since it stems from architectural
    design.

    Don't worry about it. I'm cool as long as end-users can update.
    Otherwise, it's just a preference.

    Cg.