Re: cvs, branches and co

From: Ulrich Köster (ulric..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Tue Apr 08 2003 - 12:06:56 EDT

    Hi,

    Am Dienstag, 08.04.03 um 17:50 Uhr schrieb Anders Peterson:

    > On tisdag, apr 8, 2003, at 15:23 Europe/Stockholm, Ulrich Köster wrote:
    >
    >> the buildserver should at least tag the weekly builds. If for
    >> instance somebody reports a bug in a weekly build, I need a way to
    >> get that version and a version before the bug occured. Without tags
    >> this could be complicated. The nightly builds are good for the build
    >> reports and unit tests.
    >
    > Checking out from CVS you can normally specify a branch, tag or a
    > timestamp. Being able to specify a date would be all we need since the
    > build names include a timestamp. The Eclipse CVS client doesn't seem
    > to support this. It needs a branch or a version (tag) - have I missed
    > something?
    >
    > Wont it be enough if we tag every release, incl. bug fix releases, and
    > branch on new feature releases (when/if we need to fix bugs in that
    > release)?
    For official releases we can tag the cvs by hand. Let's assume this
    scenario. A tester reports: 'This worked in weekly build 156 but is
    broken in a later build.' A tag of the weekly build would be very
    helpful. The tags between to releases could be too long timeframe.

    > How often do we expect to build compared to making bug fixes releases?
    A build of a different tag is not much required. A developer needs a
    way to get a diff between two tags.(The one that worked and the one
    where something is broken.) I use this a lot.

    Ulrich