Re: Generating EOs from an EOModel

From: Anjo Krank (anjo.kran..-online.de)
Date: Sat Jun 07 2003 - 07:22:13 EDT

    Hi Ulrich,

    Am Freitag, 06.06.03 um 08:55 Uhr schrieb Ulrich Köster:

    > I'm working on an extension for WOLips that generates not only the
    > eos. It generates the whole businesslogic. EOs, fetchspec, validation
    > and so on. Currently the sources are in xml. In the future this should
    > be XMI. With XMI you can even modify this stuff in your favourite UML
    > tool. If there's really demand for it, I'll share an early version and
    > we can work togehter on it. One idea behind it, is to make our apps
    > more independent from the mapping tool(EOF).

    Would that really work? I mean, I looked at the XMI/EMF tutorials and
    it looks to me like you'd need to add support for column types, value
    types, flattening, table mapping in inheritance etc all by editing an
    XML file (or, even worse, write your own "EOModeler"?)

    Why would you spend the time for that? I can understand WOLips, because
    Project Builder sucks so much for Java that all the work was worth it,
    but which nut case could spend the effort to re-create EOModeler?

    Hey, wait a minute...I didn't I do this already, writing the EOModeler
    component for the DevStudio app? But it was only a two-afternoon hack
    for a pretty specific purpose (fun), not a general modeling tool.

    Duh. Is there a reasonable HTML component in SWT? Or at least some
    mechanism like iTunes, where the UI is created as XML on the server and
    only displayed on the client?

    Cheers, Anjo