Eclipse crashing

From: peter mcgregor (pd..dvso.co.nz)
Date: Thu Jul 31 2003 - 01:24:47 EDT

    Hi,

    I would like to develop my webobjects projects with Eclipse.
    I have not been able to get very far though.

    I can start Eclipse ok and create a project(not webobjects).
    When I save though I get a message box

    Unable to read workbench state. Workbench UI will be reset.

    Then

    The application Eclipse has unexpectedly quit.

    Eclipse will crash from then onwards, every time I click on the eclipse
    icon.

    It will only run if I remove the workbench folder.

    I'm running Mac OS 10.2.6, with Java 1.3 and Eclipse
    2.1.1_RC4macosx-carbon

    I've installed into a normal directory under my user profile.

    Should I install this under the root user?
      How do I get eclipse into /Application. Will this fix things?
    How do others install eclipse?

    TIA

    Peter McGregor