Flowers and Whine for 1.05

From: Chuck Hill (chil..lobal-village.net)
Date: Thu Aug 07 2003 - 13:30:25 EDT

    Hi,

    First off that was a nice little set of new features. Thanks to all.

    I've noticed a few things that might be bugs, missing features, machine
    configuration issues, or just personal stupidity (never exclude the obvious
    :-). I thought I'd run them by people for comments before submitting them
    as bugs.

    1. The new JVMOptions setting produces a classpath file that reads:
    # JVMOptions ==..VM_OPTIONS@
       While this is fine for from within Eclipse, it will not work with
    Apple's launcher as it just jams..VM_OPTIONS@ on the command line. Not
    the end of the world, but an annoyance. It would be better to leave this
    blank if there are no settings.

    [I see now this was a bug]

    2. Is there anyway to have the package name also added to this line:
    # ApplicationClass == Application
       Again, it only affects launching outside of Eclipse. This only needs to
    be fixed for deployment, but I'm lazy. :-) I also sometime run from the
    command line when trouble shooting. Want a fun example? Eclipse (for a
    reason that I fail to understand), lists all of the files in the JRE/lib
    and JRE/lib/ext on the bootclasspath. While usually merely useless, this
    prevents settings in java.security from affecting classes in those jars. I
    only found this by running from the command line.

    4. Some of the WO run parameters seem wrong, or can't be implemented as a
    checkbox. Case in point,
    -WODirectConnectEnabled true
       If this is unchecked, then it seems to not get added. Thus, it defaults
    to true. Hmmm, no way to turn this off other than enter the parameter
    manually. Making the checkbox option false, instead of true, should fix this.

    5. For some reason WOOpenURL no longer works. I get this logged out when
    the app launches.
    [2003-08-05 19:12:11 PDT] <main> WORoot=
    [2003-08-05 19:12:14 PDT] <main> Unable to locate WOOpenURL on your
    computer, AutoOpen launch will not work

    My wobuild.properties look OK
    wo.dir.root=U:/Apple
    wo.dir.user.home.library.frameworks=C:/Documents and Settings/Chuck
    Hill/Local/Library/Frameworks
    wo.woroot=U:/Apple
    wo.dir.local=U:/Apple/Local
    wo.wosystemroot=U:/Apple
    wo.dir.user.home.library=C:/Documents and Settings/Chuck Hill/Local/Library
    wo.dir.library=U:/Apple/Library
    wo.dir.local.library=U:/Apple/Local/Library
    wo.dir.library.frameworks=U:/Apple/Library/Frameworks
    wo.dir.local.library.frameworks=U:/Apple/Local/Library/Frameworks
    wo.wolocalroot=U:/Apple/Local
    wo.dir.system=U:/Apple

    Unchecking the option and specifiying it manually works.

    6. Any thoughts on automatically including the ..../Resources/Java path in
    the classpath for the WO Launcher? This would make it easier when
    components are in packages.

    Comments?

    Chuck

    --