Re: development using wolips/eclipse on linux

From: Denis Nikitin (dn..hasa.demon.co.uk)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 20:59:13 EDT

    > Hi Ulrich,
    >
    > Thanks for your reply. I just wanted to confirm it was possible/usable.

    [snip]

    Hi Shaun,
    Let me share my experience about using WO on Linux as a development
    platform.
    To cut short - it's a real pain. Excellent for deployment (we've got all our
    WO apps running on RedHat)
    - real bad for development.
    > Thanks for your reply. I just wanted to confirm it was possible/usable.
    Possible - yes. Usable - IMHO - No.
    There are no benefits you can gain from using WO, even in Eclipse, even with
    such a nice
    tool as WOLips on Linux.
    WOBuilder - important part of WO development - you cannot use.
    EOModeler - is where WO fast prototyping features are really starting to pay
    off - useless.
    I 've tried different approaches, from manual editing files to launching
    trough WINE.
    What the point?
    You can do the same twice as fast on Windows or OSX. Only to run bloody
    thing on Linux?
    Let me remind you that using Apple code on Linux is not exactly covered by
    Apple license and therefore
    will not benefit in any way open source community.
    I think it's better to use right tool for a right task.
    By the way, Cayenne (http://www.objectstyle.org/cayenne/index.html) seems
    to be just right as a replacement for EOF
    and no Windows/OSX strings attached.
    I've looked what the guys did and it looks rather exciting and more close to
    Java spirit then Apple's legacy EOF monster.
    You can even import existing EOModel.
    But again, Eclipse&WOLips is really only way to do normal WO development if
    you have to.
    But not on Linux.
    Best regards,
    Dennis.