Re: development using wolips/eclipse on linux

From: shaun (shau..ecalldesign.com)
Date: Tue Aug 12 2003 - 23:07:31 EDT

    Hi Dennis,

    Denis Nikitin wrote:

    > Hi Shaun,
    > Let me share my experience about using WO on Linux as a development
    > platform.
    > To cut short - it's a real pain. Excellent for deployment (we've got all our
    > WO apps running on RedHat)
    > - real bad for development.
    >
    >>Thanks for your reply. I just wanted to confirm it was possible/usable.
    >
    > Possible - yes. Usable - IMHO - No.
    > There are no benefits you can gain from using WO, even in Eclipse, even with
    > such a nice
    > tool as WOLips on Linux.
    > WOBuilder - important part of WO development - you cannot use.
    > EOModeler - is where WO fast prototyping features are really starting to pay
    > off - useless.
    > I 've tried different approaches, from manual editing files to launching
    > trough WINE.
    > What the point?
    > You can do the same twice as fast on Windows or OSX. Only to run bloody
    > thing on Linux?

    I understand where your coming from.
    The reason I am looking into this is so the entire development team can
    all use the same tool to build woapps, some developers use linux for
    there other work and it would be a hassle for those guys to switch to
    win2k just to work on a wo project ( and there might be a mutiny :).

    > Let me remind you that using Apple code on Linux is not exactly covered by
    > Apple license and therefore

    hmm yes, this is a big problem, another list user informed me of the
    issue, this fact will probably prevent our linux users from working on
    woapps from linux.(which stinks IMO)

    > will not benefit in any way open source community.

    true, and this does not worry me in the slightest. :)

    > I think it's better to use right tool for a right task.
    > By the way, Cayenne (http://www.objectstyle.org/cayenne/index.html) seems
    > to be just right as a replacement for EOF
    > and no Windows/OSX strings attached.
    > I've looked what the guys did and it looks rather exciting and more close to
    > Java spirit then Apple's legacy EOF monster.
    > You can even import existing EOModel.
    > But again, Eclipse&WOLips is really only way to do normal WO development if
    > you have to.
    > But not on Linux.
    > Best regards,
    > Dennis.

    [snip]

    thanks for your reply it is very much appreciated,

    regards

    --
    Shaun Etherton
    WebObjects Developer | www.recalldesign.com | +618 8217 0568