Re: request for comment: related view

From: Ulrich Köster (ulric..bjectstyle.org)
Date: Sun Sep 14 2003 - 07:09:41 EDT

    Hi,

    On Saturday, 13. September 2003, at 23:32PM, Harald Niesche wrote:

    > Christian Edward Gruber wrote:
    >
    >> I still think some sort of editor pane that can view multiple files,
    >> or
    >> multiple aspects of the file-set would be good. Even, in the
    >> short-term, one that merely displays the html, ideally highlighting
    >> <webobject> tags heavily, one that shows the wod, one that shows the
    >> .java. In the future, properly parsing the .woo into a
    >> property-editor
    >> or soemthing, but the above would be a decent first step. For many,
    >> there's just enough screen-space to see all three simultaneously.
    >
    > We have a tabbed editor here, but I am unsure what state it is in.
    Why not donate it to woproject?

    >> One really frustrating limitation is that one can't seem to handle
    >> bundle-wrappers in Eclipse well. It just doesn't seem to see any
    >> folder
    >> as other than a folder.
    >
    > I am not trying to start a flame war, but somehow I always had the
    > feeling that Mac OS doesn't handle those folders-as-files
    > (bundle-wrapper is the official name?) really well, either (rename one
    > of them -- does Finder rename the parts inside?). You need to be able
    > to look inside to make them work (e.g. with CVS and .eomodel~
    > folders), but it's really quite hard to do that on Mac OS X.
    In the filesystem a bundle is nothing else then a folder. So for cvs it
    does not make a difference. Same for Eclipse.

    > Besides, there are some folders that are quite special to Eclipse, I
    > am - of course - talking about Java packages and CVS Folders. I think
    > it should be possible to make Eclipse recognize bundle wrappers as
    > such (although I'd rather like if I could look inside without having
    > to Alt-doubleclick things).
    There seems to be some missunderstanding. There has nothing changed in
    the package explorer. A folder named foo.wo is folder nothing else. You
    can look into it, double click the files in it......

    It's a lot of work to write a package explorer that shows the
    components under the .java file. Like PBX does. The related view does
    the 'same' thing. It shows the related files and folders. You can open
    a file with a double click in the associated editor. Nothing special
    about that. The difference is the folder foo.wo. A double click on it
    will open WOBuilder. You can use the alt modifier to open the .wod and
    .html files in a text editor. This is just the beginning. In a later
    release you may able to set the preferences for the realted view and
    choose the action that fit your needs.

    Ulrich